2600 appearance cast cat comes compatible created creation distortion distributing downloads effects enable essay express extraction fr gallery greater ice ip jpeg lets loaded loading mag maker motion moving nikon optics oreillynet paint platforms plugin prints promises puts raw recovering rescue rights seconds shooting shop showdetails sorted storm title transform trial tripod tutorials versus viewing widget
Computer software for use in digital photography applications. For other kinds of computer software see this page.
- 2010-Aug-31: Photography Blog takes a look at Topaz DeNoise 5, the samples they provide look pretty impressive. Its a pity that this is not available as a standalone application.  
- 2009-Dec-24: Inpaint from Teorex is a tool for removing unwanted objects from photos and replacing them with background textures.  
- 2009-Oct-23: Lexar's Image Rescue 4 is software for recovering deleted photos from flash devices.  
- 2009-Oct-09: PhotoSketch is a tool that will search for and combine elements from photographs in accordance with your hand drawn sketch instructions. Discussed here on Slashdot and mentioned here on Gizmodo.  
- 2009-Oct-09: Photo Plus, a basic image editing package from FreeSerifSoftware is available for free (the older version 6) or as a low cost download (the new version 8). In Oct'09 version X3 got reviewed, this looks like it has a good extractor tool to allow for easy extraction of a portion of the image.  
- 2009-Sep-29: The seam carving technology that appeared in 2007 has been commercialized and should be available for purchase in early 2008. This is now (almost - April'08) available. The VSO Seam Carving software was released Oct'09.  
- 2009-Sep-28: Photomizer is fully automated photo image enhancement software.  
- 2009-Sep-10: vReveal is image processing software for video editing, it even makes use of CUDA to speed things up.  
- 2009-Aug-28: Topaz Adjust is an image enhancement tool, for manipulation of exposure, detail and color balance.  
- 2009-Jul-27: AKVIS Enhancer is an image correction and enhancement program.  
- 2009-Jul-17: A web site that will convert a set of overlapping photographs into a 3D model has been launched.  
- 2009-Jun-02: Slashdot discusses data recovery software. Suggestions include:
  
- 2009-Mar-19: FotoInsight Designer is a photo book application that integrates with Flickr, Facebook, Picassa and the geotagging site locr.  
- 2009-Mar-01: Technology Review takes a look at the face recognition software that is now a part of iPhoto and Google's Picasa (online only).  
- 2009-Jan-24: Photos on TV3 is a slide show creation package that will provide some support for Google Earth views.  
- 2008-Nov-24: Visual Similarity is software that finds photographs that have similar content.  
- 2008-Oct-31: Hugin is a free panoramic photo editor available on a number of platforms, it is reviewed here.  
- 2008-Oct-29: XDepth 48 is an attempt at moving JPEGs to 16 bits per color (i.e. 48 bits per pixel). This would be a very good thing as it would allow camera manufacturers to build systems to capture a greater dynamic range (without having to resort to RAW formats).  
Microsoft's AutoCollage 2008 will take a bunch of your photos and build a collage of them.
- 2008-Oct-01: Microsoft's Pro Photo Tools 2 can view and convert RAW images and geotag photographs.
- 2008-Sep-24: Microsoft's Image Composite Editor can be used to quickly build panoramas from separate images. It appears to do a nice job, even on images that were taken hand-held and at odd angles and with foreground objects.  
- 2008-Sep-09: iLovePhotos is a Mac software package that uses facial recognition to manage your photo collection.  
- 2008-Sep-04: Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery is a program to recover photos that have been lost, due to deletion or formatting. Might be worth remembering in case you format a flash card by accident.  
- 2008-Sep-04: Google's Picassa photo sharing site now offers facial recognition.  
- 2008-Jul-22: The LightBox Advanced Digital Image Editor comes in two versions: a free one and a $19.95 plus version with more features.  
- 2008-Jun-26: TinEye searches the web for images of similar content.  
- 2008-Jun-20: FireFox version 3 added colour management for photos with embedded ICC profiles, here is how to enable it.  
- 2008-Jun-20: RansenScan is a package that allows multiple photos to be placed and scanned at the same time, it then auto-detects and extracts the individual photos to separate files.  
- 2008-Jun-09: A discussion of Photoshop's blending math can be found here with more details here.   
- 2008-May-21: fotox is a free, open-source, photo retouching application for Linux. It includes panoramic stitching and high dynamic range functions as well as general exposure and colour correction tools.  
- 2008-May-15: ViewGenie Photo Explorer can build a map from photos of a scene using AI processing to match up elements.  
- 2008-May-08: Adobe has submitted their DNG file format as a possible ISO standard. Lets hope they have sorted out any patent issues with it.  
- 2008-Apr-15: BullZeye
3 is a standalone image colour corrector package, it also supports
batch processing. It is based on technology from PictoColor Corporation who make
a standalone package called iCorrect EditLab Pro,
which looks very similar to the BullZeye 3
package, yet sells for half the price. There is a demo version (fully
functional but puts watermarks into the saved output) of EditLab that
you can download to test, I played with this a bit and found that it
worked quite well, as long as there was something white or grey in the
frame to base the colour cast correction on. In Apr'08 PictoColor started to beta test an online version of iCorrect, it's not clear at this point if they intend to charge for this service.
- 2008-Apr-07: Adobe has put a free version of Photoshop Express on the web. This allows you to do some photo editing and sharing through your browser and get enticed into buying more from Adobe. It's probably also a way for Adobe to test the waters of software rentals and see what features are really used. The first version of the license agreement for this granted Adobe rights to your photos, because of complaints this may be revised. The license agreement has been revised, the new terms start 10-April-2008.  
- 2008-Mar-21: Ovolab's Geophoto 2 is a photo-geotagging application.  
- 2008-Feb-05: Phatch is a photo batch processor (home page) with a wxPython frontend, useful for resizing, rotating, applying watermarks...   
- 2008-Jan-28: Stanford has a 3-d modeling system that builds 3-d models from regular photographs.  
- 2008-Jan-18: CorrectPhoto 3.0 from PictoColor is a colour correction package, a free trial version is available.  
- 2008-Jan-12: A comparison of various panoramic photo stitching packages.   
- 2007-Dec-19: PhotoPerfect is image editing software that can handle 16bit TIFF and RAW files.  
- 2007-Dec-15: paint.net is a free image and photo editing package, originally designed as a replacement for the old Microsoft Paint.  
- 2007-Dec-04: photology, is software that looks at the contents of your photographs to identify real world shapes in them (including faces) to allow you to search a collection of photographs by content.  
- 2007-Nov-19: PCMag reviews the Epson Perfection V500 Photo, this is an LED illuminated flatbed with film and negative scanning capability. This can scan 4 slides at a time and includes the Digital ICE dust and scratch removal system. A slide scan takes about 77 seconds, but with ICE enabled this rises to 150 seconds.  
- 2007-Nov-14: picnik is a web-based photo editing package,  
- 2007-Nov-01: EXIF Pilot is software that allows you to view and edit EXIF data.  
- 2007-Oct-06: Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 gets more features, but still could be made more user-friendly. This version added panorama image assembly (which compares well with Ulead PhotoImpact) and the new Group Shot feature is designed to allow one to make a single photo containing the best elements out of several group poses. This version also has support for producing photo books, which need to be uploaded to Kodak for printing. There are some other places that do photo books: Picaboo and ShutterFly.  
- 2007-Oct-04: Photo Story 3, is an add-on download for Windows XP, with some photo album and DVD burning capabilities.  
- 2007-Oct-04: ACDSee 10 Photo Manager has some new image processing tools, including shadow detail enhancement.  
- From Steve Mann, digital
image processing to assemble
higher resolution photos out of a set of low resolution images.
Painter Essentials 4, another package to help you turn photos into
2008 now supports printing stitched panoramas and super high
Corel's Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 gets reviewed
here. An here too
from PC Mag.
PhotoArtist 2, is a package for creating artwork based on digital
MediaOne Plus is a digital photo enhancement and DVD creation
Artist's Guide to GIMP Effects, by Michael J. Hammel, ISBN: 978-1593271213.
makes a number of photo-oriented software packages, including Just Resize My
Photos (which is specialized to the task of batch resizing) and Image
Genius (which is a general purpose batch image processor)
is a semi-automatic face retouching software package for photo portrait
work, it also has the ability to do some facial reshaping.
from iView is image management software for annotating, organizing and
distributing digital files.
is an open source tool that can be used for noise removal and image
resizing, discussed here on
Slashdot. This is a command line tool, which might be a good thing as
that allows you to use it from a batch file for bulk processing tasks.
Lightroom versus Aperture, a comparitive
NaturalGrafiX, makes ImageIron,
a program for correcting lens distortion. This program allows you
to develop your own callibration profiles using your own camera and
photo archives for patterns
Image Darkroom, a photo manipulation package with integrated RAW
PhotoStudio Darkroom, by ArcSoft.
approach to deblurring pictures.
A new algorithm to reduce camera motion
combining photographs with Google Earth
STOIK makes a number of
processing tools, including PictureMan and Noise Autofix.
a retouching package based on Ansel Adam's Zone System
The PictSync group is trying
to standardize photo sharing.
Using fractals to enlarge images, Connected Photographer reviews,
Enlarger Pro and
declares that it does a better job than the much more expensive Genuine Fractals program.
lost photos from flash media
PhotoFiltre is an
processing/manipulation program that is available in a reduced feature
free version and a commercial version. It is reviewed here.
a tool for decoding RAW format photographs from many cameras
Poster printing software is available from Softpedia
to configuring a Windows XP box for best pixel processing performance
media site, for books and more
makes photo editing pluging for Photoshop
The GIMP is a free
photo editing package, an extended manual is available called Grokking the GIMP
A review of noise
A new tool for noise
removal that also has the potential for use as an automatic
obstruction removal tool (removing the bars from a zoo cage for example)
Mechanic and Quantum Mechanic and Band Aide, photo viewing and noise
clean up tools
allows you to search photos by looking for ones with similar appearance
(done via a wavelet transform)
is a RAW editing and conversion program, currently in beta
slide show making software
is a program to examine the EXIF (including maker notes section) of
Noiseware, from Imagenomic,
looks like a good noise reduction package for high ISO shooting. This
is quite impressive at what it can do with ISO 800 shots from a Minolta
A2 (which are quite noisy). Have a look at this gallery for
some examples that have been processed by it. Also have a look at these
images I processed with it. It gets reviewed
RIP software for use with large format Epson printers
software useful for upscaling phtotos for large prints
of field calculator on the web
FxFoto is an image
manipulation, cataloging and slide show creation package
Dalibor RAW is
a utility for conversion of Minolta MRW raw format files. Dalifer is
another utility to allow access to all the information in the EXIF
header and maker notes for files created by Minolta cameras.
from Preclick, is another DVD
slide show maker.
from Photodex can make DVD slide shows
is a freeware program that converts Minolta DiMAGE 7/A1/A2 RAW files to
Digital Light & Colour
makes PictureWindow Pro, which does 16 bit image processing, for way
less than PhotoShop CS
does RAW format conversion for most cameras
from Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Pentax and Olympus.
FocusMagic is a
for correcting focus and motion blur problems in photos
Video resolution test patterns
you can download, print and do your own pixel
IFranView is a
freeware image viewer, with some manipulation capabilities. Through a set of
plugins it has support for loading RAW format files for a number of
cameras, including the Minolta A1/A2. It is reviewed here,
apparently it now has the ability to create panoramic photos.
NoiseNinja2 gets reviewed
Helicon makes NoiseFilter,
a image noise filtering program that is available in free and
DXO makes DXO Optics
Pro, (reviewed here)
an image enhancement program that corrects for lens distortion and
blur. This is also being extended (Aug'04) to include support for the
Minolta A2 and the Sony DSC828.
from Grasshopper is a program for correcting lens distortion effects
is a Python script program to dump the EXIF information, this would be
of use if you were writing some (python) scripts to manipulate a number
of photographs, perhaps you wanted to extract this information and
place it in a database...
ViewEXIF is a
Windows Explorer plugin that lets you right click on a file to see its EXIF
Reader is (free) software that allows you to browse the EXIF
information embedded within your photographs. Works well with my Canon G1.
is a program for combining a number of images to improve light sensitivity
is a utility for conversion and viewing of Canon RAW mode photographs
simplifies the process of building CDs that run as slide shows in DVD
players and PCs
will add EXIF header information to regular JPEG files so that they can
be loaded into a digital camera, this allows you to use the camera to
display these on a TV, along with other regular images you have taken with the
makes the BreezeBrowser
and RemoteCapture tools for the Canon G1, G2 and other cameras
of colour target and software to generate custom ICC colour profiles
for your scanner, camera and printer
a colour space conversion tool
an alternative to Lanczos and Genuine Fractals.
a browser for Canon RAW format files
from NASA may be coming soon to digicam software
Premiere 6.0 video editing software
Reviews of Studio DV from Pinnacle Systems here
and a page of tips.
makes video edit software
picture viewing shell
extension for MicroSoft systems, includes EXIF info capability
(not to be confused with PhotoGenetics) is a photoshop like thing
Panoramic Image Merging, by Paul Haeberli and Eyal Ofek discusses
some of the algorithms behind the automatic stitching of images.
on making panoramas
looks like being a nice piece of software, it gets reviewed here
by OutBackPhoto.com, and
used in this article Go Wide with Digital Panoramas
a gui front end for PanoTools
a free panoramic program plugin suite along with articles on making
SmartPix photo manager
for image manipulation
Aunt Abigail's Photo
Album layout program
header information, more
information is on TsuruZoh's page.
- freeware EXIF reader
VuePrint a nice
picture display and
conversion utility, fast zooming and conversion functions, VueScan is a
nice scanner utility from the same author.
PIE - Picture
is the small photo-sharing web server that I have written.