120px 160 access activity api aug cellpadding cloud combines comp completely components core dec detail different dna download downloads embedded gmane great however images java keys layer lots management managing middle modules multi paramiko password performing pure pythonlibrary servers specification src ssl standard strange text therapy toolkit wrapper
A number of cryptographic functions (such as MD5 and SHA1) are built into the standard Python libraries, more functions can be added through a number of additional modules.
- 2010-Nov-27: Handling encrypted web downloads with Python. This appears to be a mix of AES, JSON and urllib2. 
- 2010-Jun-25: The pycrypto
Python crypto toolkit (in July 2006 this moved to Launchpad) and the ezPyCrypto wrapper
is an updated (and much higher performance) version of ezPyCrypto.
Voidspace.org has pre-compiled
binaries for PyCrypto and a number of other useful modules. An example of doing AES encryption with PyCrypto.
- 2010-Jun-16: An example (in Python) on the use (and miss use) of the MD5 hash digest. 
- 2009-Dec-16: viff is a Python module for performing secure multi-party computations. 
- 2009-Nov-05: cryptacular is hashed password management module for use in web servers. 
- 2009-Aug-12: M2Crypto
also does SSL, here
is the home page. M2Crypto is being updated for use with Python 2.6. The update has appeared here. M2Crypto has reached 0.20 now, with lots of SSL server support.
- 2009-Jul-20: paramiko, a Python
module for SSH2 connections, also here on PyPI.
- 2009-Jul-15: PyECC is a module for performing Elliptical Curve Cryptography. 
- 2009-Jul-15: The arc4 implementation of the RC4 cipher. 
- 2009-May-04: An implementation of the RC4 encryption algorithm in Python. 
- 2009-Mar-06: pki is a toolkit for managing X509 certificates and RSA keys. 
- 2009-Feb-11: Using paramiko to simplify programmatic access to SSH tasks. 
- 2009-Jan-28: fhsp - Fairly Secure Hashed Password - is an implementation of the PBKDF1 specification from RFC 2898. 
- 2008-Dec-19: py-bcrypt is a python wrapper for OpenBSD's Blowfish password hashing code. bcryptWrap is another wrapper for bcrypt. 
- 2008-Oct-29: pyDes is an implementation of DES and triple DES in pure Python. 
- 2008-Oct-14: cryptoPNG a stenography program to encode or extract data to or from PNG images. 
- 2008-Sep-12: keas.kmi implements a NIST SP 800-57 compliant Key Management Infrastructure (KMI). 
- 2008-Aug-29: PyKCS11,
a Python wrapper for the PKCS#11 API, see also here, now
it seems to be here and here on the PyPI.
- 2008-Aug-17: Keyczar is a cryptography toolkit for Python and Java from the Google Security Team. Discussed here on Slashdot. 
- 2008-Jun-25: The Spore Creature Creator program embeds the meta information about the creature (the DNA for it) inside the PNG image of the creature it saves. However this information is no included as a text record within the PNG, rather it appears to be saved (the article takes a look inside the PNG file using PIL) using steganography. Quite a neat idea, except if you modify the image you destroy the DNA embedded within (though that could be viewed as a feature).  
- 2008-Jun-06: A pure Python implementation of the RSA core cryptographic functions, done as a student project. This looks to be the same thing. 
- 2008-May-12: RSA is an implementation of some of the RSA algorithms in Python.  
- 2008-Apr-25: viff is a framework for secure multi-party computation, not a very common place activity but pretty neat stuff. 
- 2008-Feb-05: Gutmann sound wave therapy, the strange tale of the Dutch proximity card billing system and how $2G was spent to produce an insecure system.  
- 2008-Jan-21: The PyMOTW takes a look at the hashlib module that combines the original md5 and sha modules and extends them with other hashing algorithms provided by OpenSSL.   
- 2008-Jan-15: pycryptopp is a Python wrapper for the Crypto++ library. It can also be found here and its home page is here. 
- 2008-Jan-07: TrueCrypt Explained goes into great detail about how the TrueCrypt software works (from a cryptographic point of view) and includes Python code to decrypt a TrueCrypt volume (it includes Python implementations of the various crypto routines that are not available in the standard Python distribution). 
- 2007-Dec-18: Using cryptography to protect data stored in client side cookies.  
- 2007-Nov-14: viff a module for secure multi-party computation. 
- 2007-Oct-30: A Python module for the SEAL2 data encryption algorithm. 
- 2007-Oct-21: Stepic, image steganography implemented in Python. 
module implemented in Python
a module for accessing the capabilities of GnuPG from Python
secure hash module for SHA256, SHA384 and SHA512 , backported from Python 2.5
for use in 2.3 and 2.4.
cryptography in pure Python
support package that has ASN.1 encoding / decoding, and OAEP
padding and such.
a Python wrapper for OpenSSH and LibSSH2 libraries, see also www.keyphrene.com
package in Python
- 2007-Aug-23: Python Cryptography